Monday, October 24, 2011

My first PINK thank you.

Yep - wow.  That's pretty much all I have to say about THE pink weekend that just happened.

Since I haven't technically slept and need to unwind before being able to appropriately convey my gratitude to all those so very, very deserving of so much more than a measly thank you, I'm just going to summarize with this:

Yesterday two women battling breast cancer came down to Darwind before the race to take a photo with Sandra and I in our very pink costumes and thank us for sailing.  This was the defining moment, the single minute in a sea of many which left us completely and utterly humbled to our very cores. 

You, ladies, are the reason.  The reason to get inspired, the reason to get involved, the reason to raise money, the reason to get on a plane to San Francisco, the reason to decide to look ridiculous in a boat and sail her.

The reason to be excited, and we must be excited.  Because we need to believe that one person, one boat, one yacht club, one fleet, one sport, one city, one October day or one trip around the world- can in some way, whether ever so slightly or ever significantly, whether to pay a scientist for a day or an institute for a year, even so much as bring a smile to the face of a woman who's decided not to lose hope.  Who brought themselves out to cheer under circumstances the rest of us can easily take for granted as we get out on the water to do something we love.

Who gave a face to the cause yesterday.  Who made it real. 

So the first, and most important thank you, a million times over, is to you.  I'm sorry I don't remember your names...but I will never forget your faces.

And I would venture to guess you met a lot of people yesterday who will be hard pressed to ever step foot on a boat again without a moment of gratitude and reverence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment