Thursday, October 13, 2011

Go. Fight breast cancer. WIN, dammit.

Dear Friends,

As some of you may be aware, I found Tom Watson's Pink Boat story so inspiring that I absolutely had to write about it in a previous post in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, even a single person would be equally inspired as I was and feel compelled to join in the support for such an extraordinary attempt to bring awareness and resources to the cause. Since then, Tom has graciously offered the lady skipper position to yours truly for the upcoming regatta, and I've decided a trip to San Francisco for the opportunity to drive the epitome of an inspiring boat is, well, truly an honor.

Therefore, I will be skippering the Pink Boat Darwind in the 1st annual Pink Boat Regatta on October 23rd, 2011 in San Francisco, CA. This is a charity event in which all proceeds will benefit the Breast Cancer Foundation. Buoys can be 'purchased' here for any of the participating race boats, which will improve that boat's chances of 'winning' the regatta.

This is not a joke. I, Ashley, have actually been entrusted with not crashing into Alcatraz Island.

So...we need all the help we can get. Seriously. More buoys = less actual sailing skills required.

It seemed only appropriate, despite my usual unwillingness to impose the advocacy of my own endeavors upon my friends and loved ones, that my efforts in helping to further the cause through this regatta should call on the same generosity and spirit which so often (and necessarily) builds the foundation for such a journey in the first place. To any who feel compelled to contribute by the way of a race buoy or otherwise, monetarily or not: You have my deepest gratitude.

To my sailing friends- there's still room on the boat! Join us! Be advised there is a skipper-imposed 'ridiculous and preferably over-the-top pink costumes required at all times' rule. Oh yes. But hey, if Nefarious skipper Cap'n Dan can suffer a temporary bout of insanity long enough to travel to SF and act as my crew for an exciting role reversal, pink costume notwithstanding, how bad can it be? Bad? No. Fun as hell? Absolutely.

And in the spirit of the event, the cause, and all of the really important things in life, I personally will be drawing on the courage of some very important people in my own life whose fearlessness in their fight against cancer trump racing in a silly little sailboat regatta about twenty million times over. You know who you are.

Learn more about The Pink Boat organization here: www.thepinkboat.org or help spread the word by 'liking' The Pink Boat on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ThePinkBoat.

If nothing else, please help spread the word. The only way for anyone to decide be involved in a cause helping to make a difference for the several hundred thousand women each year getting the same bad news, is to know about it.

1 comment:

  1. This is so great and cool. I can't wait to hear how you do. Of course keep us posted. love ya.

    ReplyDelete