Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Prologue.

Rule of Thumb:

When asked, "Would you be interested in competing in a world championship?" (While doing something you love?)

The answer, is always, yes.  Yes!

YES.

Because, seriously, the inability to answer as such would likely result in my own inability to relate to an individual on any level pertaining to the length of our time on the planet versus the amount of fun things that can be squeezed into it.

Maybe it's only fitting that this is the year my life turned upside down.  The year I threw caution to the wind and decided to just be myself.  To question everything and assume nothing.  To live with intent yet without expectations.  It's a process- isn't it always?   So in essence, perhaps it's every bit as much about allowing space for things that really matter, sometimes beyond rhyme or reason, as it is about sailing.

Except, of course, it is about sailing.  It's the part of yourself that stays on the water which you just can't seem to figure out how to take with you when stepping off onto the dock.  It's not the fairweather sailor in all of us- it's the foulweather sailor in a few of us.  I'm learning.  Slowly.  Surely.

I digress.  Again.  (Shocking, I know.)

My point is this:  sometimes, when you're pretty sure you have a passion in life, something happens to solidify it in such a way that it becomes unquestionably real and equally as profound.  For me, it happened in the last three weeks, on a Farr 30 named Nefarious, on the San Francisco Bay, with a bunch of ridiculously awesome people who figured out a loooong time before I did there's nothing like racing a sailboat.  I'd like to share it here.  I'll do my best.

Showin' some love to the (spotless) girl.  Our skipper's level of impeccable upkeep is inspiring. 














No comments:

Post a Comment